Maywalk
Maywalk
Maywalk
Maywalk

http://www.memorylanehf.oddquine.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Old newspaper headlines 1947  Empty Re: Old newspaper headlines 1947

Post by Tan on Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:34 pm

Gosh, have you ever tried cooking Sheep's Brains our Maisie?, it's not a thing I would like to think of eating, but of course like for many then money was short, and knowing of course the brains were not on ration then they would for sure had to make from what they could easily get.

The Pyrex Dishes has been going a long while then, so very useful, and I prefer them to the pot casserole dishes, although I do have one, but there is now a small crack in the lid.

Did you ever try the Sour Milk Cheese recipe?, it certainly would have taken a while from beginning to end, but more than likely many people made it and nutritional too.

So hope the power problem was sorted out for the Good Friday. That must have been hard for many to have the limitation on the power.

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Maywalk on Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:12 pm

It had been a right year from the word go Tan. It had been the worst winter we had ever had on record.
No I never tried cooking the recipes. My mother was THE cook and she did NOT like anyone in her scullery getting in her way when putting a meal together.
I never did learn how she made her bone broth but many Yanks were brought home during the war to try it and they loved it and adored my Mum because she treated them all like her own sons. Gawd knows what she put in it or how she cooked it but it really was delicious.
Just found a battered old sepia photo of my mother taken when she was about 4 years old standing at the side of her own mother ( my grandma ). Must have been taken in the 1880s. It was rescued from under the debris of the first house we had bombed.
Maywalk
Maywalk
Maywalk
Maywalk

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:38 pm

I can well imagine then the too many cooks spoil the broth, but more like too many cooks spoil the bone broth. Very Happy
How lovely she treated her 'Sons', bless her, and sure those Boys/Men never forgot how so very kind and caring your Mum was to them all.
So lovely wasn't it for the photo to be found, so precious as well.

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:29 pm

Good grief, to read that girl servants gets would be "far superior to what the average nurse gets living in hospital" - eek!

Gonna have to pass on the recipe for sheep brains casserole, Maisie - hoot! Expect if I was hungry enough I'd give it a try but still, the thought of it makes me shudder - grin.

How good of your Mom to share food and treat soldiers as part of the family - what a good heart she must have had!

Reading these snippets of new was fascinating, our Maisie and thank you!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Maywalk on Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:32 pm

I am going to put the July headlines up now of that year Mara. I am trying to do it so that it can be read without scrolling or losing any news.
A bit awkward with the pages being SO big.
I will start another thread for the July headlines.
Maywalk
Maywalk
Maywalk
Maywalk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum