A pleasant surprise.

Go down

A pleasant surprise.  Empty A pleasant surprise.

Post by Maywalk on Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:46 am

Yesterday I was contacted by someone who I had not heard from for at least 3/4 years.
He told me that he had NEVER deleted my evacuee story that was put on the radio and wireless magazine website some years ago that my son belonged to.
I was really surprised to think that he had kept the story all that time and he sent me the layout of it as it was put together by the "Crypt"website that has been deleted for quite some time.
My son (Barry) used to design test gear and put all the instructions on the site for young budding electronics experts to copy and build.
He asked me if he could have any of my poems or stories to put on the site to make it just that bit different to also help youngsters if they were studying WW2.
I said he could use anything that I had written with my permission but I didn't think any younger folk would be interested in what I have to say.
Much to my surprise this magazine published my evacuee story and even put graphics in it to make it more realistic.
I feel honoured to think that they have taken the trouble to do this and if you are interested go here. ...........................
http://www.thecryptmag.com/Online/51/EvacueesTale.html
I must warn you that it is rather long because SO much has been crammed into the page.
Maywalk
Maywalk
Maywalk
Maywalk

http://www.memorylanehf.oddquine.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

A pleasant surprise.  Empty Re: A pleasant surprise.

Post by honeybee on Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:10 am

wow that is fantastic out Maisie beautifully written A pleasant surprise.  924131
honeybee
honeybee
Our Smilie Queen
Our Smilie Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Maywalk on Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:42 am

Hi Honey.
Glad you enjoyed that trip back in time.
I just thought that others may like to read it. Life was SO different then to what it is today and I certainly knew what the word POOR meant and yet to me when I look back I was RICH with all the memories that I gathered.
Maywalk
Maywalk
Maywalk
Maywalk

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:23 am

Such a pleasant surprise for sure our Maisie, I bet that took you back many a year remembering when the magazine website put on your story, and so very interesting it will be for anyone to also learn more as well of those times, and how lovely about the website.
Such a very great help your Son was in doing what he did in helping so many, that is wonderful.
It is an honour for sure, and very well deserved with how you write with such great interest, and detail, as I recall reading other stories of yours our Maisie, thoroughly enjoying them too. Very well done. Very Happy

I will be reading your story as soon as I can. I just looked through a bit just now, and the graphics are brilliant.

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Maywalk on Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:47 am

Many thanks Tan. I hope you enjoy the tale.
Maywalk
Maywalk
Maywalk
Maywalk

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:05 am

So very interesting your memories our Maisie.

Such a terrible time though for you from being a baby to over six years old living like you had to with the Sisters of Mercy.

Being apart from your Mother and Father was bad enough, then to have to suffer like you did with the terrible beatings and injuries as well, being not able to see well, how on earth you came through that must have been so very hard, with each day basically the same, and no real rest physically, or in mind too.

So lovely for you to be eventually reunited, but that must have taken a lot to get used to, living as a family, and not with many like you had been so used to, I suppose too all the youngsters in their own way helped each other to cope with each new day at the home.

Reading about the bombings and how it was when you came from the shelters, seeing all the devastation there, the bodies, unimaginable for me to think about as an adult, so for a young child to be witness to all that, again and again, would have knocked you all for six in a bad way, at least all in the same/similar boat, all knowing what each other was feeling, and trying their best to help each other cope the best that could be.

Dolly and Peter were wonderful, lovely memories there for you both, such a shame your brother John couldn't be there with you both in their home, but at least he wasn't far away, and like you say he was then later able to join you both in your next home.
Such a protector of you there with the man you didn't feel right in his presence.

I laughed about the butcher and how your Mother had misinterpreted what he had said, I bet he wondered what had landed on him with the meat your Mother threw back at him, wow, she had spirit for sure, as you certainly have as well our Maisie, and not surprising too with all you had to go through, at such a very young age.

Wonderful wasn't it when you no longer needed the eye patch, jumping for joy time that was for sure. And very well done with all you had been through to knuckle down and pass your 11+, a great achievement.

God certainly was looking down on you when the Cinema was bombed, so pleased you were not in there at that time, close though, but I expect you have never run as fast then to go to the ward to be with your Mother, safe with her then, and how pleased she would have been as well to know you were safe..

I wonder when you all eventually settled, and the piano travelling around with you both, if your Mother ever got to learn to play the piano?, a treasure for sure, and lovely it survived, where of course many people didn't.

With all how you have written, such detail too, very well described our Maisie, it was hard then to look up from the story at the end, as I had felt I was actually there with you, as it really did draw me in while reading.

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Maywalk on Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:38 am

Bless you Tan for getting back to me. Glad you enjoyed the trip back over the years.
I have had a charmed life and I consider myself a extremely lucky lady in more ways than one especially finding such lovely folks as yourself to unburden myself on to.
Thankyou.
Maywalk
Maywalk
Maywalk
Maywalk

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:44 am

Bless you too our lovely Maisie, so much you have been through, so many memories for sure, but here you are, so kind, caring, helping so many in your life still, you are marvellous, and it is a pleasure to know you.

My Mum sadly had a terrible time when she was younger, at a Catholic School, she eventually got a lot out of her to us later in her life with what she suffered, with quite a few of the Nuns at that time, and more aimed at her due to her being left-handed, that was frowned upon, and try as she did so many times to write with her right hand, she of course never could do that.

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Maywalk on Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:00 am

Thankyou Tan its nice to know you too and all the other lovely members.
My sister was lefthanded too. NO way could I teach her to knit. I wish she had lived longer because we got on SO well. We had the same sense of humour and she liked a bit of fun like me, plus we very often bought the same outfits without knowing what the other had bought. We looked more like twins.
Maywalk
Maywalk
Maywalk
Maywalk

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:13 am

Seeing the lovely photo you added of your Sister and you together, was so nice to see, and well you both could have passed as twins.
Such a terrible shame of course she is no longer with you, but her memory lives on in you, just look in the mirror, she is there. hug

A pleasant surprise.  Fp4i11

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Maywalk on Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:03 pm

What a lovely thought Tan about the mirror.
I dont look in it very often now but I will remember that when I do, especially when combing my hair.
I dont use make up now. Stopped that many years ago because it never hides the wrinkles. Laughing
Maywalk
Maywalk
Maywalk
Maywalk

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:05 pm

You don't need make up our Maisie, your smile lights up your face, Very Happy and any wrinkles are smile lines, proof of how much you do smile.

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down