Cars/Vans/Bikes etc. Past and Present.

Page 6 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Cars/Vans/Bikes etc. Past and Present. - Page 6 Empty Re: Cars/Vans/Bikes etc. Past and Present.

Post by Condor on Wed May 18, 2011 5:14 am

On old motor-bikes the right hand unwound the spring-loaded throttle to keep the engine revving - when you took hand off to signal a right turn the bike would stop!
Driving was fun at one time.
Very Happy
Condor
Condor
Condor
Condor

http://www.condorosa.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Cars/Vans/Bikes etc. Past and Present. - Page 6 Empty Re: Cars/Vans/Bikes etc. Past and Present.

Post by Captain Nemo on Wed May 18, 2011 5:55 am

Condor thankfully there wasnt the traffic then can you remember the windscreen wipers that ran of the Manifold Vaccume fine when driving along as soon as you stopped or went slow they stopped working so folk were revving there engines to see where they were going ,
One of my Dads cars had a foot operated dip switch for the lights though that was really a good idea ,
Captain Nemo
Captain Nemo
~ God Bless you our Captain Nemo ~

Back to top Go down

Post by honeybee on Wed May 18, 2011 7:07 am

Condor wrote:On old motor-bikes the right hand unwound the spring-loaded throttle to keep the engine revving - when you took hand off to signal a right turn the bike would stop!
Driving was fun at one time.
Very Happy
Cars/Vans/Bikes etc. Past and Present. - Page 6 202794 those were the days...good days

I recall my dads old chev our cappy had the dip switch where the pedals were
Those arms on the old beetle and morris minors as said were hardly noticable. Cars/Vans/Bikes etc. Past and Present. - Page 6 892246
honeybee
honeybee
Our Smilie Queen
Our Smilie Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Nemo on Wed May 18, 2011 7:28 am

Honeybee i would hate to be doing say a right turn on the busy roads now with a dim little thing on the side that you hope has popped out , even now i have the indicator on and foot on the brake for them lights to and have often had my head lights on and till the cars stop behind dont feel safe at all ,
My Brother had a car with the old floor switch but you had to be careful as it sometimes turned the lights off all together ,
When i had my first Motorbike i was on my way home at night and was overtaking this car and when i passed i pulled infront flicked the switch for main beam and the flippin fuse blew and i was in the dark i was speeding along in darkness so i had the indicator on and was doing my best to stop, got to the side of the road safely stuck my leg out for what i hoped was the curb but there wasnt one, there was a ditch and i went tumbling down the bank and felt a right clot but the car didnt stop to help , Very Happy it was about then i was getting this voice saying its time to get a car ,
Captain Nemo
Captain Nemo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed May 18, 2011 12:19 pm

Oh Honeybee, how I can relate to having two babies so close together and discovering tiny cars usually meant smacking at least one baby's head on the door frame when trying to get them in and out - eek!

But oh dear, your Renault sure had a finickity thermostat and I bet the entire time you were driving there was a tiny fretting going on about when - not if - it would need some water to col her down! And I literally cringe thinking of Bwana having to walk to work after the gasket blew - especially with the kind of heat you get there!

Having two tiny ones and needing to depend on a kindly neighbour to get groceries must have been such a worry to both of you, our kind Honeybee ... and I'm still smiling about their being one lonely nut being left over after Bwana was so talented and got the motor back in!

It's wonderful to see the various cars you've had! Thank you, thank you for adding them here to share with us!

Oddly enough, I too had to use my arm and hand when taking my driver's test even though I had perfectly functional indicator signals (guess so we'd know what to do if they should ever quite working?).

Nev's comment reminded me of my Grandmother's journal when she'd note her neighbours apparently "gayly" bumping into each other as they got their first cars. Apparently even hand signals didn't exist and for some reason, although most could control a team of horses with ease, driving a car without hitting something was beyond a lot of them - grin.

I actually remember that cute little signal on the VWs, Condor, and one would surely need good hand and eye coordination trying to mange driving a bike and signal at the same time - hoot! - bet you ignored the signals and simply drove!

Good grief, Captain - how lucky you were that you weren't seriously injured when tumbling down that ditch on your bike!! Bikes are fun but sadly stand little if any chance when smacked by a larger vehicle and even just a 'minor' accident on the bike along can lead to a horrible ending - eek!

While I think of it ... what is a "dip switch", please?

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Nemo on Wed May 18, 2011 1:04 pm

Hello Mara this is a lovely post and after some of the lovely cars you have owned , but the bit about the neighbours cars bumping and with the difficulties of them early cars just to keep them going its amazing they became popular at all ,
There is a big step between a car looking good and being
practical the Capris i owned i loved them but having to get out to pull the seats forward so someone could contort there way in the back was no joke and if there was an accident they were really stuck in the back also the boot although a hatched back looked great with the thing closed but you put shopping in the back and you couldnt close it , but these are minor things when compared to how a Parent manages to get Toddlers strapped into chairs in the back and little things like buggies its no wonder you often hear Mums with bad backs , no a big cube on wheels or as my Citroen is called a big Egg on wheels loads of doors and built with loads of cubby holes and easy to get at things and nice and high so no bending to get in , and a lift back with a huge area just to throw the buggie and shopping Very Happy Practicality built and designed in, that will win with me every time ,
Mara here the head lights on the car have a main beam or called a Hugh beam and a Low beam also called a dipped beam now the cars have a flick lever at your fingers but in the pre 60s and 70s there was a switch on the floor by the clutch and to dip the lights you pressed it with your foot and to bring it back to main beam you pressed again when they were turned on , so really like a high and low beam selector more of our common language having different meanings Very Happy
Captain Nemo
Captain Nemo

Back to top Go down

Post by Condor on Wed May 18, 2011 5:17 pm

Rover 2000 had floor dip-switch - as did most lorries/vans. Vacuum wipers had switch on dashboard - a nightmare in really heavy rain. When proper indicators came out (made at first for Morris Minors) they too had a switch on dashboard and you bought them as a kit that you screwed, with self-tappers, to wings.
Mind you, top speed then was only about 50mph!
Very Happy
Condor
Condor
Condor
Condor

http://www.condorosa.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed May 18, 2011 7:06 pm

Aha, now I know what you mean and thanks for the explanation, Captain! (Our buses had the floor control for changing high and low beam too!).

Never had anything with vacuum wipers, Condor ... honestly can't imagine how they'd do the job really well and as you said, a 'nightmare in the really heavy rain' - yikes.

Nothing much to do with this really but what I'd love to see is a thin lighted strip running down both sides of all vehicles ...and I say this because on a 'dark and stormy night', so many accidents happen with cars not being visible to each other - front and back yes, but sides no.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed May 18, 2011 10:57 pm

I remember my first Car. A 1929 A model Ford didn't even have vacuum wipers. Instead a handle on the windscreen that you had to operate manually.My second car was an Austin7. I can't remember what sort of wipers it had.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed May 18, 2011 11:38 pm

Oh my goodness, Doug!! - a Model Ford! (You could make a fortune on that now, that's for sure).

I've always had a special feeling for the original Fords - simply because my paternal Grandfather bought one of the first ever out ... drove it home and parked it, never to be driven by him again (he hated it). He gave it to my Father to drive (no age limit nor driver's licenses then) and he used to often tell me about how cold it was in them in the winter and how they literally had to be put in the barn once the snow started as they simply drive through it. (He'd switch back to a horse and cutter).

If you were driving the Model A when out on a date, at least having to use the handle on the windscreen would have kept you 'behaving' while driving - grin! Yup, one hand on the wheel and the other on the handle - girl's fathers must have love you! flower

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Nemo on Thu May 19, 2011 2:30 am

Great old cars there Dougie where i used to live there was a guy who restored Austin 7 s he had loads of them kind of a cute little car ,
Mara in the conditions a Horse and Cutter or cart of some description would be far more use the roads as well must have been terrible with ruts and holes maybe even nicer just to ride the Horse ,
They do do Two tone car paint jobs so it would be a good idea to have say the bottom third all round in a nice reflective silver so the slightest light reflected bright i will say i dont drive a lot at night but parked cars and things are a real problem with dirty reflectors and in poor weather a car that glowed would be a good solution,
My Bil said that from next year in the UK all new cars have to have in the day time lights on even now many cars have these LED lights they are very bright and do show up so clearly someone is thinking like you do Very Happy
As for when i went tumbling down the ditch with the Bike i was about 18 and felt indestructable then as we all do , Very Happy
Captain Nemo
Captain Nemo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu May 19, 2011 6:20 pm

They only used the cutter when there was snow on the ground as it had 'runners' on it.

When I first learned that Doug could not only fix cars but actually build them, I was amazed - and still am, with anyone with this kind of talent - huge wow!

Aah, yes ... being 18 and sometimes even 28 and we still think we're indestructible, as you said, Captain. In fact, I often wonder if a bit of that simply doesn't linger on until our parents die - and then, at any age we feel like 'orphans' and a bit vulnerable being 'next up'.

Back to top Go down

Post by honeybee on Fri May 20, 2011 12:51 am

DSTM wrote:I remember my first Car. A 1929 A model Ford didn't even have vacuum wipers. Instead a handle on the windscreen that you had to operate manually.My second car was an Austin7. I can't remember what sort of wipers it had.
Our Doug it was a stunning car... this is where the thread started... with you posting your 1929 Ford what a beaut(1st post on this thread)
Cars/Vans/Bikes etc. Past and Present. - Page 6 2jeoe1z
honeybee
honeybee
Our Smilie Queen
Our Smilie Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by June on Fri May 20, 2011 12:54 am

Beautiful those vintage cars. They often appear in rallies and gatherings during the summer.

We have only ever had Ford cars. Two Sierras, one Fiesta and now our present Ka.
June
June
June
June

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri May 20, 2011 1:18 am

honeybee wrote:
DSTM wrote:I remember my first Car. A 1929 A model Ford didn't even have vacuum wipers. Instead a handle on the windscreen that you had to operate manually.My second car was an Austin7. I can't remember what sort of wipers it had.
Our Doug it was a stunning car... this is where the thread started... with you posting your 1929 Ford what a beaut(1st post on this thread)
Cars/Vans/Bikes etc. Past and Present. - Page 6 2jeoe1z
Hi Honeybee.Yes this is the model I had.I have known where mine has been for the last 48yrs out in the open.I found out the owner was selling it and I offered to buy it back for restoration.I was outbid by somebody for $4000 in very poor condition.This was 5 yrs ago.

Back to top Go down

Post by honeybee on Fri May 20, 2011 1:36 am

by DSTM Today at 9:18 am Hi Honeybee.Yes this is the model I had.I have known where mine has been for the last 48yrs out in the open.I found out the owner was selling it and I offered to buy it back for restoration.I was outbid by somebody for $4000 in very poor condition.This was 5 yrs ago.
wow our Doug, such a pity the guy outbid you. Phew $4000 was a tad too much to go higher in the bid.
What a beaut she is though. Must have been lovely following her wherabouts for so many years

Like our June we had fords.. Then we switched to Toyotas. We had 2 Toyota cressidas for many years first we had a metallic green then when that one retired we went for the white one
With a company car allowance. we were able to get one larny car ie frightfully expensive cars or in our allocated money 2 cars. we went for the white cressida and I the toyota conquest. We did not need a BMW. We just wanted a big car to tow the caravan and a new car for me. After 5 years the cars automatically belongs to you. Very few companies give a car allowance now. unless you are very high in a company. They found people were just abusing that priviledge
honeybee
honeybee
Our Smilie Queen
Our Smilie Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri May 20, 2011 4:29 am

Oh my goodness, that is one beautiful car, Doug - you must have really, really enjoyed driving it!

Darn shame that person let it sit out so long unprotected and an even bigger shame that you were out-bid when it was being re-sold - drat!

I do remember when Company cars were fairly common, Honeybee - and while I loved having one, we sure didn't get to keep them even after 5 years (mind you, I never stayed with the same Company 5 years until I started driving the city buses - smile).

My Father swore by Fords, June - in fact, he never drove anything but Fords his entire life! Personally, I've had the worst luck with Fords - and while unfair, I know, there's been times when I agreed with those that maintain Ford stands for 'Fix Or Repair Daily'! Cars/Vans/Bikes etc. Past and Present. - Page 6 448901

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri May 20, 2011 4:37 am

FORD stands for "Found On Rubbish Dumps" lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri May 20, 2011 4:42 am

Naughty man! Huge laugh, our Doug!

Off I go ... this is my 3rd time to try sleeping (it's now 3:42am here) and I'm darn near cross-eyed - gentle smile.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri May 20, 2011 4:50 am

Way past your bedtime, Mara. A charge of Rum is a good nightcap.I thought I was the only one who stays up all night. Goodnight and catch you tomorrow.

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Nemo on Fri May 20, 2011 5:23 am

Sleep well Mara and if you take that charge of Rum see you very late tomorrow Very Happy
Captain Nemo
Captain Nemo

Back to top Go down

Post by honeybee on Fri May 20, 2011 7:56 am

Mara wrote:Naughty man! Huge laugh, our Doug!

Off I go ... this is my 3rd time to try sleeping (it's now 3:42am here) and I'm darn near cross-eyed - gentle smile.
aw sleep well our mara Cars/Vans/Bikes etc. Past and Present. - Page 6 924131
honeybee
honeybee
Our Smilie Queen
Our Smilie Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri May 20, 2011 5:37 pm

Thank you, lovely ones! flower

In reality, I can fall asleep darn near any time - gentle grin - but sometimes days and nights are ever so lumpy for my beloved Glen and I simply sleep when I can.

(Love you old lady boot house there, Honeybee!).

Back to top Go down

Post by Nev on Sat May 21, 2011 3:20 am

A lot of car names have been done like the Found On Rubbish Dumps for Fords. Fix It Again Tony for Fiat, Lots Of Trouble Usually Serious for Lotus and many more.

Nev
~ God Bless you our Nev ~
~ God Bless you our Nev ~

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat May 21, 2011 11:22 am

The "Lots of Trouble Usually Serious for Lotus" made me grin, Nev - that's something I'll never have to worry about.

What I would like to do for my Glen's next birthday though is find one of those race tracks where one sign's ones life away on the dotted line - then pops into a race car and goes zoom zoom, full speed ahead!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum