Cars/Vans/Bikes etc. Past and Present.

Page 7 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Cars/Vans/Bikes etc. Past and Present. - Page 7 Empty Re: Cars/Vans/Bikes etc. Past and Present.

Post by Nev on Sat May 21, 2011 2:22 pm

Many many years ago, I was twenty one, myself and a group of friends went to the Isle of Man where we visited one of those tracks, but built for go carts, you know the things powered by a single cylinder lawn mower engine that has been souped up. Now that was fun, there were even cars or carts with a basic body on them to be more correct, and they were called formula one carts, they had a small car engine in them and could they shift. Imagine doing up to 90MPH in such a small vehicle. To have a go in one you first had to prove you could handle an ordinary cart at speed, but what an exhilarating thing, full speed down the straight, and doing a braking slide into the bends, wow factor was amazing, straight out of the bend and into the next straight with foot down to the boards. A never to be missed or forgotten experience was that one.

Nev
~ God Bless you our Nev ~

Back to top Go down

Cars/Vans/Bikes etc. Past and Present. - Page 7 Empty Re: Cars/Vans/Bikes etc. Past and Present.

Post by Guest on Sat May 21, 2011 7:27 pm

Oh Nev, I've done that!!! - and I'm so happy to read you had the same thrill!

There was a place just outside Toronto where we could rent those and about once a month during the summer, I had the 'time of my life'! Similar 'getting there phase' too - first in normal 'go carts' and then after signing even more legal papers and donning the most uncomfortable crash helmets perhaps ever made, off we could go!

Always wanted to go to Germany and play on their Autoban - huge grin.

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Nemo on Sun May 22, 2011 7:59 am

What a lot of Petrol heads we have here , ive never been on a go kart something about 60mph with my rear just off the tarmac but i can imagine the thrill like most folks i broke the ton or the 100mph in a lovely 2 litre Capri S i had we went to a Capri rally and coming home on the motorway went way to fast it was very clear and in them days no cameras or speed cameras a Policeman had to be there to get you but my Simba that was the cars name flew that time but im a bit of an old Man on the road im afraid 55mph is plenty for me and a bit faster on Motorways ,
While young about 18 i had the use of a lovely new Kawasaki 1100 it was one of the first superbikes that had fuel injection and way to much power but i had it for 3 months and was told to ride it and did, i didnt have the bottle to full throttle it i had it on the M4 it was quiet and so i opened it up i passed 130 and was still accelerating but i couldnt get my head down to read the instruments, above that and the wind pressure, it was all i could do to hold on and quite terrifying, and very frightening and the noise , no i wasnt built for speeding im more the person that folks are getting all excited about trying to urge on Sulk
Captain Nemo
Captain Nemo
~ God Bless you our Captain Nemo ~

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon May 23, 2011 6:06 pm

I'd say 'shame on you' for your flying like the wind on your motorcycle that time, Captain - but in all honestly, must admit the temptation to see just how fast a vehicle will go ... well, surely that's why freeways were created, right? Cars/Vans/Bikes etc. Past and Present. - Page 7 448901

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Nemo on Tue May 24, 2011 9:22 am

Mara its very true and goodness knows now the bikes are so much faster , but i lost my nerve at the 130 , even on a runway i think i would as well the air pressure is like a wall but its the thought of something like a blow out or something breaking , Very Happy as the old saying goes there are Old Motorcyclists and there are Bold Motorcyclists but there are no Old Bold Motorcyclists, and its only as we get older and see others doing as we did we realise how daft we were and the chances took ,
Captain Nemo
Captain Nemo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:20 am

We had a four door column change Ford Classic for 36 years.
She was the only car we had apart from a Triumph Herald that we used while Betsy had a complete overhaul and respray when she was about 16 years old.
We paid £435 for her in 1962. We had her when she was 6 months old off an insurance man who thought she was TOO heavy to handle because she was all steel.
She became a talking point as she got older and there was always some youngster who was interested in her
and thought it was great to get behind the wheel.
DONT mistake this car for the Ford Anglia although they had similar backs to them, the Classic had a massive boot.
As the years passed we joined the collectors club and went to many rallies all over the country.
I wrote the poem below to put on the bonnet for folks to read because while hubby went off to talk to the other members because I used to be left to tell folks about her so the poem told them most of what they wanted to know to save my breath. I could have a wander round myself then. Cars/Vans/Bikes etc. Past and Present. - Page 7 360901
Betsy was still in pristine condition when we had to let her go because hubby had developed a deformed foot over the years through rheumatoid arthritis. It was like losing one of the family. Our lovely outings were finished but never forgotten.
Before we let her go to a new owner my son asked if he could replace the number with another one because he wanted to keep Betsy's original number. It was sorted out and now my son has the number transferred to any new car that he gets.

Cars/Vans/Bikes etc. Past and Present. - Page 7 2dj99w2

Ode to Betsy,

A few details of my history may be of interest to you.
I came into existence in 1962.
I'm a four door Ford Classic 315
With a very large boot and a column drive.

I have been with my family for 36 years
Sharing good times and bad as well as their fears.
They christened me Betsy from the very first day
When they chose me as theirs and drove me away.

Curiosity from youngsters wondering what I could be
Conversation with the elderly who could remember me.
And I may say with all modesty and very much pride,
Three times I was chosen to carry a bride.

I have eased up with age now, I dont go like a jet,
But my get up and go has not left me yet.
I grumble a bit when started but I haven't got a knock
This is to be expected because I've gone right round the clock.

I might be a never was and well past my sell by date
But I have always made it well on time and never ever late.

Back to top Go down

Post by June on Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:23 am

Very good Maywalk. That must have told the onlookers all they could wish to know Cars/Vans/Bikes etc. Past and Present. - Page 7 8840
June
June
June
June

Back to top Go down

Post by Nev on Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:44 am

Such a shame you had to let it go Maywalk, it is indeed now a classic, and a great poem for the onlooker to read and hopefully be amused by it.

Nev

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:12 am

Many thanks June and Nev.

I forgot to mention that we have a beautiful painting of her that my son had done for us in 1987 for our 38th wedding anniversary present.
It will be our 62nd anniversary this year in September all being well.

I have some photo's of my father-in-law's buses from the 1920s would you like me to put them on here.?????

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:15 am

Yes such a shame that your lovely Betsy had to go Maywalk, but understandable too, how lovely of your Son to think of doing that with the number, that was so very thoughtful and must have mean't a lot to you both.
Your poem is brilliant. Very Happy

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:19 am

Yes please Maywalk, that would be lovely to see the photo's that you have.
Congratulations on your 61st year of your Wedding, and wishing you many more to come, it would be lovely to be able to celebrate here with you in September.
I bet you both filled up when your Son gave you both the Painting, I sure would have..

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:17 am

Yes the painting was a lovely surprise Tanooma.

While cleaning old letters and bills out of my units I came across these two photos below of my father-in-law’s buses from the 1920s plus his phone card.
Cars/Vans/Bikes etc. Past and Present. - Page 7 302q6nm

He was one of the first 100 people to have a phone during those days.

The buses were long gone when I met my hubby but he did say that his father owned a bus that had a piano in it. No picture of this I am afraid but I do know it was made by Willowbrook Coach Builders.
I have recently come across a story about this bus and what pleasure the sing song gave the folks going to and from Skegness or Blackpool for the day.
Cars/Vans/Bikes etc. Past and Present. - Page 7 2jbtr9g

One thing that amazes me is how the heck did the vehicles manage to go about 60+ miles without folks having to get out and push them. Just look at the narrow wheels on them AND they had no windscreen wipers. If it rained the driver had a push out window, as you can see from the photos so that he could see his way along. Talk about death on wheels.

Cars/Vans/Bikes etc. Past and Present. - Page 7 2053603

The driver always had a mate with him so that if it came down foggy the mate would walk in front of the coach waving a red lamp about so that the driver knew he was still on the road.
Talk about living dangerously.

Back to top Go down

Post by Joelle on Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:03 am

Wowa lovely car and photograph Maywalk and such a lovely poem to go with it too (I hope you will post some of your poems in The Poetry Corner when you get used to it here)
The buses are wonderful and as you say like death on wheels. I bet it was such a thrill to ride in one of those in those days though something that folk look forward to for ages before they went for a trip.
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle

http://www.pamspoetry.yolasite.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:27 am

Hi Joelle
Well from what I could gather from hubby's mother when she was alive many folks were definitely after a trip in the bus that had the piano.
I only wish I had a photo of that, but where the heck they put the passengers after getting a piano on board really got my brainbox agog. Shocked
I could visualise some of them sitting on the top of the ruddy bus singing "Show me the way to go home" . Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Joelle on Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:31 am

But weren't they happy Maywalk, didn't ask for much and made the most of everything,like you say the thought of a piano on board too is amazing
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle

Back to top Go down

Post by Nev on Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:37 am

Maywalk wrote:
I could visualise some of them sitting on the top of the ruddy bus singing "Show me the way to go home" . Very Happy

Especially after a stop at a pub on the way home after a great day out.
Knowing how those buses probably had a very hard suspension, plus the condition of roads back then, I can't imagine how many wrong notes must have been played on that piano while on the move. Cracking Up
Lovely old photo's of buses reminding us of times gone and a good story to go with them.

Nev

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:20 pm

Thanks for getting back to me Joelle and Nev.

Nice to know that others out there can appreciate how folks used to live many years ago.
They had not got much money but for all that they enjoyed what bit of life they had.

Back to top Go down

Post by Joelle on Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:27 pm

They certainly did Maywalk, my mum and dad never had much but we were always well fed and loved.
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle

Back to top Go down

Post by Alan on Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:10 pm

Thank you so much Maywalk, what a lovely and interesting article. It is really fascinating to read of those days.

"To know an elephant is to be touched by him - these gentle giants humble mankind. He is nature's greatest Masterpiece." John Donne - Poet
Alan
Alan
Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:00 pm

So lovely to see these photo's and so interesting about the opening of the front window there if it rained, such invention Very Happy
My Dad drove buses for a while, but he drove the more modern ones with the upstairs, windscreen wipers and a conductor Very Happy
I can imagine them going out for the day there and singing along to the piano.
So interesting Maywalk, thankyou..

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by skip on Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:42 pm

Very interesting post Maywalk----Sorry you had to let 'Betsy' go---hope she was cherrist ( Ok--ya see now I can not spell good) by the new owners----
I did like the poem----& those busses ---well they were something else...
skip
skip
~ God Bless you our Skip ~
~ God Bless you our Skip ~

Back to top Go down

Post by honeybee on Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:27 am

Maywalk wrote:We had a four door column change Ford Classic for 36 years.
She was the only car we had apart from a Triumph Herald that we used while Betsy had a complete overhaul and respray when she was about 16 years old.
We paid £435 for her in 1962. We had her when she was 6 months old off an insurance man who thought she was TOO heavy to handle because she was all steel.
She became a talking point as she got older and there was always some youngster who was interested in her
and thought it was great to get behind the wheel.
DONT mistake this car for the Ford Anglia although they had similar backs to them, the Classic had a massive boot.
As the years passed we joined the collectors club and went to many rallies all over the country.
I wrote the poem below to put on the bonnet for folks to read because while hubby went off to talk to the other members because I used to be left to tell folks about her so the poem told them most of what they wanted to know to save my breath. I could have a wander round myself then. Cars/Vans/Bikes etc. Past and Present. - Page 7 360901
Betsy was still in pristine condition when we had to let her go because hubby had developed a deformed foot over the years through rheumatoid arthritis. It was like losing one of the family. Our lovely outings were finished but never forgotten.
Before we let her go to a new owner my son asked if he could replace the number with another one because he wanted to keep Betsy's original number. It was sorted out and now my son has the number transferred to any new car that he gets.

Cars/Vans/Bikes etc. Past and Present. - Page 7 2dj99w2

Ode to Betsy,

A few details of my history may be of interest to you.
I came into existence in 1962.
I'm a four door Ford Classic 315
With a very large boot and a column drive.

I have been with my family for 36 years
Sharing good times and bad as well as their fears.
They christened me Betsy from the very first day
When they chose me as theirs and drove me away.

Curiosity from youngsters wondering what I could be
Conversation with the elderly who could remember me.
And I may say with all modesty and very much pride,
Three times I was chosen to carry a bride.

I have eased up with age now, I dont go like a jet,
But my get up and go has not left me yet.
I grumble a bit when started but I haven't got a knock
This is to be expected because I've gone right round the clock.

I might be a never was and well past my sell by date
But I have always made it well on time and never ever late.
Just lovely our maywalk.. .£462 was alot in those day.. So lovely you had her for so many years and that your
son got the number
honeybee
honeybee
Our Smilie Queen
Our Smilie Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by honeybee on Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:10 am

Woweeeeeeeeeeee
honeybee
honeybee
Our Smilie Queen
Our Smilie Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:34 am

Wow, lovely to see these again, marvellous for sure. Very Happy

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by nordog on Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:34 am

Condor wrote:Rover 2000 had floor dip-switch - as did most lorries/vans. Vacuum wipers had switch on dashboard - a nightmare in really heavy rain. When proper indicators came out (made at first for Morris Minors) they too had a switch on dashboard and you bought them as a kit that you screwed, with self-tappers, to wings.
Mind you, top speed then was only about 50mph!
Very Happy

Called Wipac if I remember Condor, I fitted them to my 52 MM minor and it did a lot more than 50 mph more like 105 mph. I also fitted a Lucas electric screen washer with the clear plastic tubing going along the wiper blades, I made little holes with a hot pin so the water would spay directly were the blade was. This car also had a Kenlowe to save on fuel and give the little 918 cc engine some help. How I wish I had kept my little Moggy.
nordog
nordog
Nordog
Nordog

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum