World War 2 Aircraft

Go down

World War 2 Aircraft

Post by Guest on Sun May 19, 2013 8:28 am

I think our Nordog and our Maisie will like this. I am a huge history buff and I love all sorts of aircraft. I hope you enjoy the following:

http://www.mission4today.com/index.php?name=ForumsPro&file=viewtopic&t=14429

Back to top Go down

Re: World War 2 Aircraft

Post by Guest on Sun May 19, 2013 1:11 pm

Oh my gosh, these photos are not just incredible in themselves, seeing the actual men and woman too is so very special, Rich!

What an incredible find there and thank you ever so much for sharing ... am saving the link to show my beloved Glen when he's able, too, as I know he'll enjoy seeing each one, as well.

My brother Ross was in the Canadian Air Force during WW2 but sadly I never asked what he flew and now it's too late to ask.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue May 21, 2013 4:35 am

Glad you enjoyed it our Mara, I had relatives in the air force as well.

Back to top Go down

Post by Joelle on Tue May 21, 2013 5:00 am

A fantastic site, and great photos Rich, I grew up during WW2 too and those photographs of the people are nostalgic to me. The ladies sitting round in 1943 ( I would be 6 then) and just seeing their hairstyles and clothes remided me so much of my childhood. Thank you
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle

http://www.pamspoetry.yolasite.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue May 21, 2013 1:18 pm

Just looked at these again and they really are a series of incredible snapshots of life then.

Truly, what a terrific find and again, thanks for sharing these with us, Rich!

Back to top Go down

Post by nordog on Tue May 21, 2013 4:11 pm

Sorry to say this Rich but the photo is not a Mosquito but an F3 Sea Hornet from De Havilland first flew in 1944 and was not introduced until 46. I knew this as a Flight Sgt had lovely coloured photo of a Hornet on his office wall with a sign saying "This is not a Mosquito" And have never forgot that.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:De_Havilland_Hornet_F1.jpg

But on saying that I loved looking at the photo. Please have look in your local library if you have them there for books about the girls of the ATA's look for this this name Lettus Curtis, I guarantee you will not put it down until you have finished reading or fell asleep.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lettice-Curtis-Her-Autobiography/dp/0954620119

There is one girl who flew a English Electric Lightning at Mark 1 plus.
nordog
nordog
Nordog
Nordog

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue May 21, 2013 4:43 pm

Joelle wrote:A fantastic site, and great photos Rich, I grew up during WW2 too and those photographs of the people are nostalgic to me. The ladies sitting round in 1943 ( I would be 6 then) and just seeing their hairstyles and clothes remided me so much of my childhood. Thank you
Glad you liked that bit our Joelle. My parents were teenagers during the war and my Dad enlisted in the Navy when he was 17 and that was in 1943. When I look at these old photos, I loved how the men and women dressed back then. Most of all I love the aircraft. I hope our other members enjoyed it, especially our older folks.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue May 21, 2013 9:42 pm

My Glen is watching "Ghost Army" - a documentary done re WW2 and really enjoyed viewing the photos here, Rich.

How sad it would be when the last of the WW2 Vets are gone, but thankfully there are those that lived through the war and can still share their memories, too.

How much we (or at least, I) take for granted so often when, in reality, life could have been so vastly different today without so, so many helping to preserve freedom.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down